Acidic soil plants are plants that do well in soils with slight acidic levels. This can be any soil with a pH value ranging from 5.5 to 7.0. The good thing about acid-loving plants is that they are often easier to grow and maintain. This is because they often share the same growth requirements and needs.
With that being said, what are the acid loving plants you can grow in your gardens? Here are a few great options to try.
Lily Of The Valley
Acid loving flowers like the Convallaria majalis are great for indoor spaces. Asides from their lush, beautiful blooms, they also produce a sweet scent that is divine. The plant features bell-shaped blooms of white color. These are carried by tall slender stalks of dark green.
Growing the lily of the valley can be easy as they don’t have high needs. They thrive in acidic loamy soil and can grow well in full shade.
- Scientific name: Convallaria majalis
- Sun needs: Ranging from partial to full shade
- Soil needs: Rich, acidic to neutral, clay or loamy soil
Bleeding hearts or Dicentra spectabilis are perfect flowering plants for acidic soil. The exotic plant needs a soil pH value ranging from 6.0 to 7.0. It is prized for its heart-shaped blooms that range in color from lavender to purple.
As a perennial plant, the bleeding heart does very well indoors. It can be grown in rich, quality soil and does well in areas of low light or full shade.
- Scientific name: Dicentra spectabilis
- Sun needs: Low light to full shade
- Soil needs: Well-draining, rich, soil mix
The Azalea is a flowering shrub from the Ericaceae family. The perennial plant is known for being easy to grow and care for. It features pink-colored flowering blooms that are funnel-shaped. They are also quite small in size and are sweet-scented.
Azaleas are awesome plants needing acidic soil. A fresh batch of well-draining soil with a pH level of 6.0 to 7.0 is all they need to thrive. Watering should be kept at minimal levels.
- Scientific name: Rhododendron sp.
- Sun needs: Filtered or indirect sunlight
- Soil needs: Aerated, well-draining, acidic soil mix.
Not as common as the azalea, fothergillas are great flowering shrubs to grow. They are plants that thrive in acidic soil. Their flowering blooms are quite stunning with colors of white. These blooms are carried by thin stems of light green.
Indoors, the fothergilla needs more light than the azalea. It can grow in full sun, but partial shade is also fine. Watering should be kept at an average level.
- Scientific name: Fothergilla sp.
- Sun need: Partial shade to full sun.
- Soil needs: A rich, well-draining, clay or loamy soil of 5.0 to 7.0 pH
Colorado Blue Spruce
Picea pungens are large tree plants that are most used in the festive period. They grow quite high and do well as acid soil plants. And they can grow in almost all climate zones. This is why they are being used as Christmas trees.
A rich, acidic soil is needed for the colorado blue spruce. They love moist soil, so ensure you water them once a week.
- Scientific name: Picea pungens
- Sun needs: Indirect sun to full sun
- Moist, well-draining acidic soil type.
Pachysandras are low-growing plants from the Buxaceae family. It makes an excellent ground cover plant since it is deer resistant. The plant features dark green leaves that are leathery and shiny. It also produces white flowers that are small and adorable.
You can get the best from them by planting in acidic soil. It should be rich in compost and well-draining. Watering levels should be kept average.
- Scientific name: Pachysandra terminalis
- Sun needs: Full to partial shade
- Soil needs: Rich, well-draining acidic soil mix.
Gardenias are the next shrubs on this list of acid-loving plants. These flowering shrubs are similar to the azalea and fothergilla in terms of soil needs. They feature large attractive flowering blooms of white color. These blooms are both elegant and delicate.
Growing the Gardenia can be a bit more demanding. This is because they hate soggy soil, and still require a decent level of watering. In summary, you need good-draining soil.
- Scientific name: Gardenia sp.
- Sun needs: partial shade to indirect sun.
- Soil needs: Very well-draining, acidic clay or loamy soil
If you are looking to add more color to your growing space, the blue ageratum is ideal. It is a large family of flowering plants that feature a wide variety of colors. These can range from white to lavender to pink to blue.
Blue ageratums are great for indoor gardens. They grow in acidic soils that are both well-draining and rich in organic compost.
- Scientific name: Ageratum houstonianum
- Sun needs: Bright but indirect sunlight
- Soil needs: Rich, well-draining, acidic, soil
Camellias are cool flowering plants to grow in acidic soil. They are quite delicate which means they can be a bit demanding. But their romantic, stunning blooms are all worth the little stress they bring. Their flowers range from pink to white to red. And are awesome to look at.
Grow them in your gardens in acidic soil with pH values ranging from 4.5 to 6.5. They prefer full shade but can take some level of direct sunlight.
- Scientific name: Carmelia sp.
- Sun needs: From full shade to partial sun.
- Soil needs: Rich, acidic, well-draining loamy or clay soil.
Cyclamen are great plants that love acidic soils at a moderate level. This means any soil with a pH level lower than 6.0 can be too harsh for the plant. The plant features thin green foliage and produces lavender-colored blooms.
If you have very acidic soil, you can consider adding some lime to the soil. This can make it a little alkaline and proper for your cyclamen.
- Scientific name: Cyclamen sp.
- Sun needs: Partial shade.
- Soil needs: Well-draining, sandy or clay soil
Frequently Asked Questions
Some ornamental clovers like the Rubens Trifolium do not like acidic soils.
Yes, watering your plants with coffee makes the soil more acidic in the long run.
Yes, Epsom salt, does not affect the overall soil pH of a plant.
Fertilizers with a high level of ammonium are best for acid-loving plants
Yes, roses are known to love soils with a slightly acidic pH level.